NetDisturb software is a network emulator software (IPv4 & IPv6) generating user-defined impairments: latency, delay, jitter, bandwidth limitation, loss, duplication, modification of the packet content and more…
NetDisturb allows disturbing flows over IP networks helping to study the behavior of applications, devices or services in a “disturbed” network environment. NetDisturb is inserted between two Ethernet segments acting as a bridge and operates bi-directional packet transfer on Ethernet, Fast Ethernet and Gigabit network interface cards.
No need to buy expensive hardware, use NetDisturb software such as hundreds customers around the globe!
- Development assistance and debug of automatons for IP equipments: particularly for Set-Top Boxes operating in cable or telecom environments.
- Performance & Acceptance Tests: Qualify and evaluate the behavior of IP equipments (phone, fax, gateway, set-top box, IMS core, call server, application server, residential gateway, ADSL wireless router and more…), and etc.) and applications (audio and video streaming) over IP networks.
- Configuration and control of IP Equipments for product verification and test: Define different QoS levels in an Intranet or Internet environment to configure terminals, gateways and routers.
- Test Laboratories: NetDisturb provides repeatable QoS on different flows using configuration mode and values (loss, duplicate, delay, packet content impairment) defined by the user, and so re-create real world problems in the lab.
- Applications test: NetDisturb allows testing applications such as Voice over IP, Fax over IP, audio and video streaming, and other distributed applications.
- Emulation of symmetric or asymmetric network conditions found on the Internet and enterprise networks (LAN, MAN, WAN): latency, jitter, packet loss, bandwidth limitation, and more… to test IP applications (VoIP, audio & video streaming, etc.), services and products sensitive to various real conditions.
- Simulation of satellite links with important delays and limited bandwidth
- and more…
ZTI Communications first developed the software tool for France Telecom, who has been using it to test VoIP and IPTV service offers, IP equipments (gateways, PBX, routers, set-top box and more …) and applications (video and fax over IP).
|NetDisturb software is available in two different editions: Standard Edition or Enhanced Edition.|
Examples of Use
The following examples illustrate a subset of use cases implemented in various projects.
Simulation of packet loss rate of a banking network has generated a loss rate file with 1.3 million values. Before the deployment of new applications on the network, NetDisturb Standard Edition simulates the network to test these applications by using this external file containing the loss rates to recreate the actual operating conditions.
NetDisturb Standard Edition simulates the satellite link with limited uplink and downlink bandwidth. An aggregate is defined to submit all TCP and UDP flows to a function of delay – to reflect the delay of several hundreds of milliseconds introduced with the satellite link.
NetDisturb Standard Edition generates losses and delays of packets for specific VLANs implemented in a very large MPLS core network.
VoIP use case: for example, verify that the SIP REGISTER or the SIP INVITE message is retransmitted in case of no answer and then apply a loss and delay for RTP packets of the SIP session.
DHCP use case: for example, check that the OFFER message is lost following a transmitted DISCOVER message to validate automatic DHCP retransmission.
NetDisturb Enhanced Edition generates impairments (loss, delay, duplication, modification of packets…) for the testing of codecs integrated in gateways, servers, STB and more…
- PC running 64-bit version of Windows Seven, Eight or 10, Server 2008 R2 with at least 3GB Ram and 75MB hard disk free
- Virtualization: Oracle VM VirtualBox is supported.
- Hyper-threading and PC multiprocessors are also supported.
- Two Identical Network Interfaces Cards (NIC) are recommended: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, or Gigabit Ethernet.
- Display resolution: at least 1024 x 768 (more readable: 1152 x 768 and sup.), DPI setting = Normal size (96 DPI) and Font size = Normal.
NetDisturb is based on the notion of flows. A flow is a set of packets with a set of common packet properties, and can be unidirectional or bi-directional. Flows are part of sessions (successions of flows and “think times”) related to some homogeneous user activity (e-commerce, mail, IPTV session…).
NetDisturb can generate impairments (unidirectional or bi-directional) for 16 user-defined flows simultaneously.
It is possible to use a trigger to link the launch of the impairments with an event for a flow.
NetDisturb offers also two working modes by applying impairments:
- Enable / Disable out-of-sequence packets in a flow,
- Impairments laws apply to the IP flow or to each TCP/UDP connection of the IP flow.
Based on a Client-Server architecture, NetDisturb is composed of two parts:
- The Server handles the impairment characteristics
- and the Client manages the Server using a powerful and intuitive graphical interface
This allows two configurations where the Server and the Client may be installed on the same PC (local control), or the Server is located on one PC and the Client is located on another PC (remote control) and dialogs with the Server by using a communication link (Wan, Lan…).
Both configurations require two Ethernet NICs for the Server, and we recommend using two identical NICs for performance reasons.
List of Impairments handled by NetDisturb
Pre-defined Loss and Duplication laws:
- Loss: Constant Law. Parameter: number of packets
- Loss: Uniform Law. Parameters: alpha, beta, threshold
- Loss: Burst Uniform Law. Parameters: alpha, beta, threshold(n), threshold(n + x), depth
- Loss: File (Loss Values). Parameters: file name, threshold
- Loss: Percentage. Parameter: percentage
- Loss: 1 Packet out of N. Parameter: range(N)
- Loss: Percentage & Duration (time-limited losses percentage). Parameters: percentage, duration
- Loss: File (Percentage & Duration). Parameter: file name
- Duplication: Percentage (send n times the received packet). Parameters: percentage, Min ≤ n ≤ Max
- Duplication: 1 Packet out of M (duplicate 1 packet n times every M received packets).Parameters: range(M), Min ≤ n ≤ Max
- Duplication: Uniform Law. Parameters: alpha, beta, threshold
- Loss (1 out of N) then Duplication (1 out of M): the loss law (1 Packet out of N) is used first before the duplication law (1 Packet out of M)
Pre-defined Delay & Jitter laws:
- Constant Delay. Parameter = constant delay
- Constant Delay & Exponential Jitter. Parameters: constant delay, λ
- Constant Delay & Uniform Jitter. Parameters: constant delay, alpha, beta
- Constant Delay & File (Jitter). Parameters: constant delay, user file
- File (Packet Sending Minimum Cadences). Parameter: user file
- Router Simulation & Constant Delay. Parameters: IP throughput, max memory, constant delay
- Router Simulation & File (Packet Sending Minimum Cadences). Parameters: IP throughput, max memory, user file
- Constant Delay & File (Throughput & Duration). Parameters: constant delay, user file
Pre-defined Content impairment laws:
- 1 Packet out of N Parameter: range(N)
- Percentage. Parameter: percentage
- Normal Law (Laplace-Gauss). Parameters: average, standard deviation, threshold
- Uniform Law. Parameters: alpha, beta, threshold
Please refer to the PDF document for detailed performances on Gigabit networks realized by our labs. In short (Gigabit Ethernet / Incoming & Outgoing throughput): 975 Mbps (TCP / 16 IP Flows) ; 970 Mbps (UDP / 16 IP Flows)
NetDisturb software (Standard or Enhanced edition) is composed of two parts: Server and Client.
NetDisturb Server is licensed on a per workstation basis, and you can install NetDisturb Client on the same PC or on several PCs (only one instance of NetDisturb Client can be used with NetDisturb Server at a given time).
Note: in most cases, Server and Client are installed on the same PC (default installation of software).
You can install NetDisturb Server on several PCs, but you need a valid license for each PC where you want to use it.
|NetDisturb software is available in two different editions: Standard Edition or Enhanced Edition.|
Common Key Features for Standard and Enhanced Editions
- Simultaneous support of IPv4 and IPv6
- Client-Server architecture based on the SOAP mechanism which uses the HTTP protocol and the XML format for the exchanges between the Client and the Server
- NetDisturb is an Ethernet bridge to avoid any network configuration
- Use of standard Ethernet Network Interface Cards up to 1 Gbps and WiFI card
- Symmetric or Asymmetric bandwidth limitation with throughput limitation laws
- Very easy to use and intuitive Graphical User Interface
- 16 configurable flows per direction
- Aggregates of flows can be defined (set of flows sharing the same Delay & Jitter characteristics)
- User-defined rules for disturbances: pattern trigger, starting time after delay or number of packets received, stop impairments after number of received packets or elapsed time, loops and more…
- Predefined filter parameters based on the main protocol header fields (MAC, MPLS, VLAN, IP, TCP and UDP headers) and user-defined pattern filter
- Unidirectional or bi-directional packet impairments
- Impairments: Latency, Loss, Duplication, bandwidth limitation, Delay and Jitter, Content impairment (mathematical laws or user-defined files)
- Change the impairment law on-the-fly for a flow
- Ability to impair the remaining network traffic that could be either only the IP packets or all the Ethernet frames
- Connections per flow: impairments are applied to the flow or to each connection of the flow
- Ethernet / Internet modes (Out-of-Sequence packets)
- Command Line Interface (CLI) to use NetDisturb in test beds
- Ethernet Jumbo frames supported (payload up to 17,976 bytes)
- Statistics display and export detailed statistics into a file
- Accuracy = 1 millisecond resolution
Specific Key Features for NetDisturb Enhanced Edition
- Impairments based on protocol primitives:
– ARP (ARP Operation Code)
– PTPv1 & PTPv2 (PTP Message Type)
– DHCP (DHCP Message Type)
– DNS (DNS Message Type, DNS Message Operation)
– FTP (FTP Command, FTP Returned Status)
– FTP DATA
– HTTP (HTTP Method, HTTP Returned Status)
– RTP (Audio Payload Type, Video Payload Type, DTMF)
– SIP (SIP Method, SIP From, SIP To, SIP Returned Status)
- RTP and FTP data flow automatic discovery
- MOS impairment laws (VoIP)
- Detailed event log window per flow viewing the events and application of the impairments according to the user-defined rules
Comparison Standard Edition / Enhanced Edition
Impairment of IPv4 & IPv6 packets, ARPs and Ethernet frames
Automatic NIC configuration and Automatic Sample Start Mode
Filter parameters to define a flow:
* Activity rules:
- Start/Stop after a time limit or a packet counter or a pattern trigger
- Loop to reapply the rule with delay between each iteration
* Packet filters: Ethernet-type, Ethernet length, source address, destination address, source port, destination port, protocol, DSCP DiffServ (ToS), MPLS, VLAN, MAC address...
* User-defined pattern filter based on Ethernet packet content
16 User-defined flows to impair using filters and 'Unfiltered Flows, Frames, Packets...' to impair without using filters
Dynamically modify impairments on-the-fly per flow in each direction when running
Aggregates of flows (set of flows sharing the same delay and/or jitter characteristics)
View Per-Flow statistics and NICs statistics
Accuracy = 1 millisecond
Standard impairments: drop/loss, duplicate, delay (latency), jitter, bandwidth limitation, congestion, packet error, bit error, reorder, burst errors
Delay from 1 millisecond up to 100 seconds in each direction
Emulate bandwidth up to 1 Gbps
Definition of flows to disturb based on protocol primitives:
- ARP (ARP Operation Code)
- PTPv1 & PTPv2 (PTP Message Type)
- DHCP (DHCP Message Type)
- DNS (DNS Message Type, DNS Message Operation)
- FTP (FTP Command, FTP Returned Status)
- HTTP (HTTP Method, HTTP Returned Status)
- RTP (Audio Payload Type, Video Payload Type, DTMF)
- SIP (SIP Method, SIP From, SIP To, SIP Returned Status)
- MOS impairment laws (VoIP)
Detailed events log per flow
You can download a 15-day trial version of NetDisturb Standard | Enhanced Edition, allowing you to evaluate all product features.
Before proceeding to the download, please enter your contact details below.
Thank you for choosing a ZTI Communications product!
The NetDisturb software is licensed on a per workstation basis.
You need to purchase a separate license for each machine that you install it on.
We recommend to order the One-Year Maintenance Contract including software updates & upgrades, and technical support by email or phone with the purchase of the license.
Pricing for NetDisturb is described in the table below.
|NetDisturb Standard Edition||Reference||Unit Price (Euro)|
|"NetDisturb Standard Edition" software - Single License with USB dongle||zNETD-S||1,350.00|
|1-Year Maintenance Contract including technical support, software updates & upgrades, purchased at the same time than the license or when the maintenance contract has not expired (renewal)||zNETDM-S||195.00|
|Software Upgrade to the latest version with 1-Year Free Maintenance Contract||zNETDU-S||365.00|
|Unitary price for the USB dongle (Software Protection Key) without purchase of the license (customers having older licenses without USB dongle)||zNETDK-S||75.00|
|NetDisturb Enhanced Edition||Reference||Unit Price (Euro)|
|"NetDisturb Enhanced Edition" software - Single License with USB dongle||zNETD-E||1,650.00|
|1-Year Maintenance Contract including technical support, software updates & upgrades, purchased at the same time than the license or when the maintenance contract has not expired (renewal)||zNETDM-E||240.00|
|Software Upgrade to the latest version with 1-Year Free Maintenance Contract||zNETDU-E||445.00|
|Unitary price for the USB dongle (Software Protection Key) without purchase of the license (customers having older licenses without USB dongle)||zNETDK-E||75.00|
|Upgrade from NetDisturb Standard Edition to NetDisturb Enhanced Edition||Reference||Unit Price (Euro)|
|Customers with a valid maintenance contract: Software Upgrade to NetDisturb Enhanced Edition (USB dongle required) - Single License||zNETDU-SE1||350.00|
|Customers without a valid maintenance contract: Software Upgrade to NetDisturb Enhanced Edition (USB dongle required) - Single License||zNETDU-SE2||550.00|
|Unitary price for the USB dongle (Software Protection Key) without purchase of the license (customers having older licenses without USB dongle)||zNETDK-SE||75.00|
All prices are excluding VAT and taxes (EXW Lannion, France). Extra costs can occur due to our partners services for transport, custom duties, VAT and other local taxes.
Do not hesitate to contact us for special quantity prices and payment conditions.
Special offer for Education & Academic Research: please contact us for special pricing and discount.
For a quote or to order: Tel +33 2 5104 8984 / Email: [email protected]
|NetDisturb Standard | Enhanced Edition|
|Brochure & Overview||View PDF|
|User Guide||View PDF|
|NetDisturb Performance Characteristics||View PDF|
Please send your technical question or request to [email protected]
or [email protected] for other inquiries.
Our technical support team will answer you very quickly (we respond within 24 hours to all inquiries).
You can also view the NetDisturb FAQ (please refer to Support / FAQs).