IP Traffic – Test & Measure :: Overview
IP Traffic – Test & Measure is a traffic generator for IP networks using different protocols:
– UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
– TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
– ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol)
and a powerful measurement tool for network Quality of Service (QoS).
IP Traffic – Test & Measure uses the Microsoft Windows TCP/IP stack (Winsock2 interface), and is independent of any transmission or telecom line. Any transmission link managed by the Windows operating system can be used: LAN (Ethernet, Token-ring, hyperlan…), WLAN (Wi-Fi, WiMax…), WAN (modem, ISDN, ATM, ADSL, FTTx, satellite…), remote access, PLC, mobile or cellular networks.
IP Traffic – Test & Measure can be used to get high accuracy measurements by using optional hardware providing a very precise time reference thanks to the Time Device (z050 USB GPS dongle, z150 Series or NTP server) synchronized by GNSS (GPS, GLONASS…).
IP Traffic – Test & Measure Synoptic
IP Traffic – Test & Measure is composed of four modules:
- IP Generator to generate IP traffic with various load profiles on 16 simultaneous connections using different protocol: TCP, UDP (unicast, broadcast, multicast), ICMP
- IP Answering to receive IP traffic on 16 simultaneous connections with different working modes: absorber, echoer and generator
- Traffic Sniffer to capture traffic files at the driver level (under the TCP/IP stack) in order to calculate traffic statistics and timestamp IP packets (sent and received). The IP Generator module can replay the captured traffic files.
- Traffic Observer is a powerful graphic tool to display and visualize traffic statistics of IP connections. Statistics are displayed in real time [on-line mode] or by using an off-line mode.
IP Generator features
- 3 working modes: Unitary mode (each connection can be parameterized independently by using the internal or external data generator), Automatic mode (parameters: starting time connections generation and data volume to send on connections), and Replay mode (parameter: data traffic file to replay).
- Internal data generator characteristics
– Traffic generator type: packets generator (packets number or infinite, packet contents: fix, random, alternate, increasing/decreasing) or Mathematical law or file to send.
– data size (fix, random, alternate, increasing/decreasing)
– inter packet delay (fix, random, alternate, increasing/decreasing)
– optional: throughput limit (Mean Throughput or Mean Packet Throughput)
- External data generator characteristics
– User File or User DLL
– Loop counter with delay between each loop
- Optional parameters
– Time code (RTT: Round Trip Time)
– DSCP (Differentiated Services Code Point)
– TTL (Time to Live)
- Statistics: Sent & Received throughput, Sent & Received packet throughput, Sent & Received packets, Sequence numbering errors, RTT (Min, Max, Mean), Jitter and more…
IP Answering features
- 5 working modes: Echoer, Echoer file, Absorber, Absorber file and Generator
- Statistics: Sent & Received throughput, Sent & Received packet throughput, Sent & Received packets, Sequence numbering errors, Jitter and more…
Traffic Sniffer features
Sent and received packets are time-stamped by the Traffic Sniffer (under the TCP/IP stack) to calculate statistics and can be saved into a file to generate captured traffic files. IP filters can be defined to capture more precisely the traffic and reduce the amount of data to save into the file.
From one traffic file captured by the Traffic Sniffer, an analysis algorithm produces two data files (IP packets sent and received) that can be replayed by the IP Generator module.
Traffic Observer features
This module displays and graphs statistical values provided by the IP Traffic – Test & Measure driver (under the TCP/IP stack).
- Numerical values for each IP connection: IP Throughput Snapshot (Tx & Rx), IP Throughput Average (Tx & Rx), UDP or TCP Throughput (Tx & Rx), Inter Packet Delay (Tx & Rx), Packet Transit Delay (Tx & Rx), Packet Erasure Rate (Tx & Rx)
- Graphics for each IP connection with average, standard deviation and confidence distance: IP Throughput (Tx & Rx), Inter Packet Delay (Tx & Rx), Packet Transit Delay (Tx & Rx), Packet Erasure Rate (Tx & Rx)
- Packet statistics displayed for each packet: status (lost or sent), transit delay, IP size, IP identification
- Packet statistics displayed for each IP connection: number of sent packets, mean transit delay, mean jitter, number and percentage of lost packets, number of retransmitted TCP packets.
Several Time Receivers models (z050, z150 Series) synchronized by GPS are offered by ZTI according to the conditions of use and the needed accuracy. It’s also possible to use an NTP server (please contact us for more information).
|Configuration||Absolute Time Reference||Accuracy for measurement|
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure||None or user-defined||Undefined (PC clock used)|
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure + z150 Series unit (serial or USB port)||YES, provided by the time device synchronized by GPS.|
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure + z050 (USB GPS dongle)||YES, provided by the time device synchronized by GPS.|
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure + NTP time server (e.g. z250 model).|
(The NTP time server can be used for multiple PCs running IP Traffic - Test & Measure)
|YES, provided by the NTP time server synchronized by GNSS (GPS, GLONASS...).|
Automation Tool for IP Traffic – Test & Measure
The add-on software Automation Tool for IP Traffic allows you to edit scenarios, carry out scenarios, set the parameters and pilot IP Traffic – Test & Measure automatically on the same PC.
A scenario is a succession of commands and instructions.
A command is used to set parameters and/or activate a function of IP Traffic – Test & Measure.
For example the Set and Start connection(s) command helps to set parameters for IP connections and to start the traffic on these connections. With such command you specify the IP address, port number, protocol, packet size, inter packet delay, duration, etc. and you start the traffic generation for these connections.
An instruction is used by the Automation Tool to create an internal process. For example, the Wait Date/Time instruction suspends the scenario execution up to the specified date and time before to continue.
By using the Automation Tool for IP Traffic you can:
- Set automatically the parameters of IP Traffic – Test & Measure,
- Start and stop IP connections based on timers,
- Execute the scheduled operations in accordance with your own timing,
- Make repetitive tests operations automatically,
- Simplify the tests reproduction,
- And more…
Please refer to the PDF document for a detailed view of the performances on Fast Ethernet and Gigabit networks realized by our labs.
In short: link rate usage = up to 97.4% (Gigabit Ethernet) and 98.7% (Fast Ethernet).
- Network bandwidth management
- Generation of UDP, TCP, and ICMP traffic with many different load profiles
- Applications testing that require guaranteed bandwidth
- Testing of the impact of applications & equipments on the network (e.g. Voice over IP, Video, fax, multimedia, and more…)
- Traffic statistics viewing
- And more…
- All modern versions of Microsoft Windows are supported – from XP to Windows 10 with 32-bit or 64-bit environment, including Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, 8 and 10.
- Min 1024 x 768 screen resolution
- One Network Interface Card (LAN, WAN, WLAN…)
IP Traffic – Test & Measure is licensed on a per workstation basis.
You need to purchase a separate license for each PC you install it on.
- 32 simultaneous connections: 16 out (Sender part) + 16 in (Receiver part)
- Generates traffic (unitary and automatic modes) with a powerful internal traffic generator
- Generates traffic using multiple NICs
- Multicast IP traffic (IPv4 & IPv6) for UDP
- Broadcast IP traffic (IPv4 only) for UDP (doesn’t apply for IPv6)
- Echoes, Absorbs and generates traffic for receiving connections
- Protocols supported: UDP, TCP, ICMP
- Real time QoS measurements (Throughputs, Jitter, RTT, Sequence numbering errors)
- Off-line QoS measurements (Transit delay, lost packets)
- Traffic sniffer to capture and replay IP traffic
- Export statistics
- Command Line Interface
- Add-on option to automate operations (Automation Tool for IP Traffic)
- Hardware options to improve the accuracy of measurement up to 1 millisecond
You can download a 15-day trial version of IP Traffic – Test & Measure + Automation Tool for IP Traffic, allowing you to evaluate all product features.
Before proceeding to the download, please enter your contact details below.
Thank you for choosing a ZTI Communications product!
The IP Traffic – Test & Measure software is licensed on a per workstation basis.
You need to purchase a separate license for each machine that you install it on.
We recommend ordering the One-Year Maintenance Contract including software updates & upgrades, and technical support by email or phone with the purchase of the license.
Pricing for IP Traffic – Test & Measure is described in the table below.
|Description & Options / IP Traffic - Test & Measure||Reference||Unit Price (Euro)|
|"IP Traffic - Test & Measure" software - Single License with USB dongle||zIPT||400.00|
|* 1-Year Maintenance Contract including technical support, software updates & upgrades, purchased at the same time than the license or when the maintenance contract has not expired (renewal)||zIPTM||70.00|
|* Software Upgrade to the latest version with 1-Year Free Maintenance Contract||zIPTU||140.00|
|"Automation Tool for IP Traffic" software - Single License||zIPTA||80.00|
|* 1-Year Maintenance Contract including technical support, software updates & upgrades, purchased at the same time than the license or when the maintenance contract has not expired (renewal)||zIPTAM||15.00|
|* Software Upgrade to the latest version with 1-Year Free Maintenance Contract||zIPTAU||30.00|
|"IP Traffic - Test & Measure" + "Automation Tool for IP Traffic" software bundle - Single License with USB dongle||zIPTB||440.00|
|* 1-Year Maintenance Contract including technical support, software updates & upgrades, purchased at the same time than the license or when the maintenance contract has not expired (renewal)||zIPTBM||77.50|
|* Software Upgrade to the latest version with 1-Year Free Maintenance Contract||zIPTBU||155.00|
|Unitary price for the USB dongle (Software Protection Key) without purchase of the license (customers having older licenses without USB dongle)||zIPTK||75.00|
All prices are excluding VAT and taxes (EXW Lannion, France). Extra costs can occur due to our partners services for transport, custom duties, VAT and other local taxes.
Do not hesitate to contact us for special quantity prices and payment conditions.
Note: don’t forget that a minimum of 2 licenses is required (one at each endpoint) in order to use all features of the software.
Special offer for Education & Academic Research: please contact us for special pricing and discount.
For a quote or to order: Tel +33 2 5104 8984 / Email: email@example.com
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure|
|Brochure & Overview||View PDF|
|User Guide||View PDF|
|Automation Tool for IP Traffic Brochure||View PDF|
|Automation Tool for IP Traffic User Guide||View PDF|
|IP Traffic - Test & Measure Performance Characteristics||View PDF|
Please send your technical question or request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com for other inquiries.
Our technical support team will answer you very quickly (we respond within 24 hours to all inquiries).
You can also view the IP Traffic – Test & Measure FAQ (please refer to Support / FAQs).